ENGINE COMPANY 1

Central Riverfront - Downtown

Washington Fire Company

CFDHISTORY ---›Companies ---› ENGINES ---› ENGINE COMPANY 1

ORG
NQTRS
NQTRS
DISB
VINE ST nr FRONT ST
COMMERCE & RACE
430 CENTRAL AVENUE W/E-45
DISB
1853
1864
1962
1963



Members Who Died In The Line:

  Frank Bidell - January 12, 1856

  Capt. Anthony Lahrman - July 18,1878

  Charles "Red" Trindle - November 20, 1959


Engine 1 members around 1900 with their firehouse companions.
Photo Unknown Photographer

Fort Washington Way is under construction in this photo that dates to 1960. In the center of the picture, just south of the construction sits the quarters of Engine 1. Just south of the 1's house is a long white building that is connected to a series of 6 and 7 story brick buildings on the east. That complex of buildings was Castellini's. On a cold December day a few years after this photo was taken they had a bit of a fire in those buildings....
Photo City of Cincinnati

1958 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25197
This apparatus was in service at the 1's from March 5, 1958 to October 6, 1963, when Engine 1 was disbanded shortly after moving to the 45's house at 5th & Central.
Photo Ed Effron

Firefighters lounge on the bench along the Race Street side of the firehouse. Notice that all of the roughnecks are wearing a tie which was a required part of the uniform at the time.
Photo John Denney Collection

The Mack pumper on the left operated as the hose tender while the Seagrave was the engine. By the time this photo was taken many of the building along the riverfront had been demolished. Soon, Engine 1 would move to their new quarters at 430 Central Avenue, but they wouldn't last at that location for long.
Photo John Denney Collection

Down on the riverfront, the members of Engine 1 in 1950 are shown, left to right: Captain R. Laulenback; Firefighter Charles Trindle; Firefighter John Pragar; Firefighter Walter Kelley; Firefighter Nick Meiszer; Firefighter Elmer Berkigt.
Photo Courtesy of Michael Wilger

1942 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25162
Originally placed in service on December 23, 1942 at 1:23 p.m. with Engine 45.
Photo Ed Effron

It's hard to imagine the number of buildings that were once along Cincinnati's riverfront. Large numbers of manufacturing, warehousing, and retail establishments once existed below 3rd Street. All of the buildings that can be seen on the Ohio side of the river were torn down during the 1950's and 1960's. This view, taken during the 1937 flood, provides a good reference to understand where Engine 1 was located - and why it was an essential part of the fire department.
Photo Sarge Marsh

The crew of Engine 1 poses along side their Ahrens-Fox pumper.
Photo Chip Lytle Collection

1913 Ahrens-Fox 750 GPM
Two of these Ahrens-Fox engines were delivered in 1913. They represented the first motorized pumpers on the roster and were initially assigned to Engines 20 and 46.
Photo Steve Hagy Collection

Firemen climb into a launch along the Commerce Street side of the station during the flood of 1913.
Photo Collection of the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

1882 Ahrens 1st Size Steamer
The apparatus of Engine 1 is decorated for a parade. The crew poses in front of their quarters on Race Street along with a couple of small fry.
Photo John Stelter Collection

"Washington" was a fairly common name for a fire company. It isn't know if this fair looking lad is actually from Cincinnati, but since his helmet indicates that he is with Washington #1 we'll include him here.
Photo Steve Hagy collection

The crew of Engine 1 poses with their 3-wheel steamer. This apparatus was built by 1870 by one of three Cincinnati firms: Latta, Lane & Bodley, or C. Ahrens & Co. A mustache must have been a requirement for this company with a beard being optional!
Photo Steve Hagy Collection