Walnut Hills


773 McMILLAN ST 1870

Members Who Died In The Line:

  Raymond Kennedy - September 19, 1934

  Charles F. Blymyer - October 9, 1934

  Capt. Fred Beckham - September 17, 1955

Wall inside Engine 16 that contained the first alarm boxes for Engine 16, using the original box numbers.
Photo Unknown

This photo, taken on March 7, 2007, shows that the Marshall's bay on the back of the firehouse has now been torn down. Hopefully that same fate will not meet with the rest of the building.
Photo Steve Hagy

District 5 was quarted with Engine 16 when this card was issued.
Photo Cincinnati Fire Department

Thee qurters of Engine 16 around 1973 or so.
Photo Steve Hagy

Family and friends look on as the 16's have their photo taken. Wonder what the occasion was?
Photo Fire Museum of Greater Cincinnati

1968 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 500 Tank Shop #4654
The 16's have three 2 1/2" lines off, so it must be a fire! This 2nd alarm in the spring of 1974 was at a vacant building on McMillan Avenue. The 16's are on a hydrant on Calhoun Street in front of Calhoun Hall at U.C. Notice that the air pack is still being carried in a "suitcase" that is on the street near the rear wheel.
Photo Steve Hagy

1968 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 500 Tank Shop #4654
The crew of Engine 16 is eating lunch at Engine 23 after the 16's quarters on McMillan Street had burned.
Photo Steve Hagy

Dinner at the 16's in March 1962. Left to right Capt Armbruster, L. Salamone, Marshal Hanlein, Jack Berling, and Capt Beirman.
Photo Larry Salamone Collection

1954 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25192
Photo Ed Effron

1954 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25192
Photo Ed Effron

1934 Mack 750 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25116.
The firefighters at the rear of the engine are George Bruner, on the tailboard, and Captain Fred Beckham who died on September 15, 1955 after fighting a fire at 760 Greenwood Avenue.
Photo Pat Holz

1934 Mack 750 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25116
Photo Mack Factory Collection

District 5 and Engine 16 as they appeared in 1931. A 1928 Chevrolet is being operated by the Marshall while the crew of Engine 16 stands in front of their 1918 Ahrens-Fox.
Photo Steve Hagy Collection.

1918 Ahrens-Fox 750 GPM
This rig was sold to Delhi Township in September of 1935. This veteran of 2 fire departments is now owned by the Delhi Antique Club.
Photo Steve Hagy

A single horse was used to draw the hose wagon at the 16's. Notice the lanterns mounted by the seat and the bell and helmets in the hose bed.
Photo Steve Hagy Collection

In this photo the wagon is in front of quarters. The firehouse is unpainted in natural brick. The Cincinnati city seal is visible to the right of the apparatus bay.
Photo Steve Hagy collection.

Somewhere under all of those flowers there is a hose wagon! We don't know what the occasion was, but the crew at the 16's appear to have been the best customers a florist could have. You can just see the bell over the Captain's shoulder.
Photo Steve Hagy collection.

A lone firefighter out with the hose wagon of the 16's somewhere in Walnut Hills. This was probably during the daily excercise trip to keep the oat burners in limber shape!
Photo Steve Hagy collection

Engine 16 former quarters 1999
Photo George Bredestege