Pleasant Ridge

Marion Fire Company




Members Who Died In The Line:

  Benjamin Franklin - October 10, 1859

  Thomas Wisbey - July 17, 1895

  Thomas Bland - September 11, 1899

  Henry Heinsheimer - September 11, 1899

  Harry Fullrieda - September 28, 1936

2003 Emergency One 1500 GPM - 500 Tank - 30A/30B Foam Shop #31685
Photo Steve Hagy

Unit 3 of Engine 8; Captain Errol Cleveland, Firefighters Edwina Lyttle, Greg Williams, and C. B. Spence.
Photo David J. Jones

1988 Seagrave 1250 GPM - 300 Tank Shop #81670
Photo David J. Jones

1975 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 300 Tank Shop #4672
This pumper was in the last group of "Winnebago's" purchased by the C.F.D.
Photo Steve Hagy

1975 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 300 Tank Shop #4672
Photo Steve Hagy

1958 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25196
This photo was taken in 1974 and the photo by Ed Effron that is a couple of pictures farther down on the page was shot around 1961. In the 13 years between these pictures not much changed in the appearance of this apparatus. The soft suction is no longer mounted behind the front fender and the beacon style warning light is on the roof. The Municipal Garage equipment number is now shown on the door. Aside from those 3 items the features of this engine have remained the same.
Photo Steve Hagy

1958 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25196
No large diameter hose on this pumper! On the Seagrave and Mack pumpers that had an aisleway through the hose bed, you would normally see the firefighters riding there, summer, spring, winter, and fall.
Photo Steve Hagy

This photo shows an unusual response by Engine 8. Prior to the implementation of limited EMS response by Engine Companies in the late 1970's, it was rare for a fire company to respond on a medical run of any type. This photo was taken in the Spring of 1972 or 73 and shows the 8's assisting Ambulance 2 on a heart attack run at the Cincinnati Gardens.
Photo Steve Hagy

1958 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25196
Placed in service on March 5, 1958 with Engine 32.
Photo Ed Effron

The C.F.D. purchased quite a few pumpers from Mack during the 1930's. Here we see Engine 8 out on the street with their mid-1930's 750 gpm engine.
Photo Steve Hagy Collection

A great photo of the crew of the 8's. No 2 members are dressed exactly the same - the selection of a necktie was apparently up to the firefighter. The officer is at the front of the hose wagon. Officers wore double breasted suits. Notice the red globed lantern mounted next to the drivers seat. That was the extent of a visual "warning device" on the wagon!
Photo Bill Houston collection

This photo shows the firefighters of Engine 8 in front of the station. Based on what appears to be his advanced age, hopefully the gentleman seated in the front was retired from the C.F.D.! It's nice that you can see a little of the neighborhood, most of which was torn down long ago.

If you look on the right side of the photo, the small line that appears to come out of the firefighters trousers is the chain that was in place to keep the horses from wandering outside when the door was open!
Photo Bill Houston collection.

Interior view of early fire stations don't turn up that often. This interesting photo shows a couple of guys sliging the pole at the 8's house on Cutter Street at Clark Avenue. The frame on the wall (just below the gas light) shows the box assignments the company is due to respond to. You can see a some of one of the horse collars on the left along with the drop attachment for the collar fixed to the ceiling.
Photo Bill Houston collection.

This beautiful station was located at the intersection Laurel St. & Cutter St. When Laurel St. was widened to
create Lincoln Park Dr. (now Ezzard Charles Dr.) in the 1930's, this classic looing firehouse was torn down.
Photo Steve Hagy collection.

The crew and apparatus of Engine 8 in front of their quarters on Cutter Street.
Photo Steve Hagy collection.